Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Baby Cocoon






This will be a much better pic when Baby Joseph is in it
And when his daddy isn't wearing it as a hat
2-11-14:  I used  Lion Brand Homespun and it's soooo soft! This beautiful teal blue is great for a boy or girl.  I started it yesterday and finished it this evening.  I thought I'd put a soft purple or goldish/yellow flower on it if Jakeb and Lacey had found out they're having a girl.  But as I was actually knitting it, I learned they are having a boy, Joseph Alexander Goff.  Debating on adding a pompom to the bottom.  Trying to decide how that would wash. Big ole buttons would be cute, too. Just not sure how comfy that'll be if baby is on his tummy.

added a giant pompom

went ahead and added a big ole button to the front

just layered 2 cool buttons and tied them on for easy removal if necessary
Baby Joseph arrived July 6th, 2014
how sweet is this?!
This will be for Baby Girl Fromm -- I'm thinking of adding a flower on the bottom

I can't remember the pattern name or creator, but I found it on ravelry. Instead of working with 2 strands, I used the Homespun which is a worsted weight.  I would suggest some size 13 dpn's for the end, tho I had 2 sets of circulars which did the trick.  I would also recommend a cable shorter than 24'.

Funny story about Baby Girl Fromm.  I messaged Jenn and told her I'd made something for Baby Girl and to be thinking of when we could get together.  She thanked me but told me they were having a boy.  I coulda sworn I'd read on fb that they were having a girl. Oh well, I'll have one made for Baby Boy Fromm in a week or 2. She seemed pretty certain that they wouldn't want him in pink.  Meanwhile, Baby Girl Lynn will get the pink cocoon.  I added a knitted flower with a pink button in the middle to the bottom of the cocoon.  Turned out nicely.

Baby Boy Fromm's on left
Baby Boy Watts' on right



My friends Dave and Jackie asked me to make a couple for new babies in their family

here is their Baby Asher in his cocoon
this one is for Keasha' baby girl, Olivia

A couple of Wanda's blingy buttons brought it all together
For Sue Jackson's new grandbaby -  above



showing our Jimmie's server, Rizzo, some cocoon pix as she opens hers




Niece Lissa rec'd the above cocoon and burp rags for her first baby, Wren Elizabeth.  Wren will make her debut in late May or early June 2016!




Nathan and Dara will be having their FIFTH baby M in July 2016.  The above cocoon and and burp rags are for him.




May 2016:  Beautiful Baby Wren Fogel in her cocoon above.  Snug as a bug.




July 2016:  Above is Malachi Goff.  Hope that little finger gesture isn't about the cocoon!  LOL.


This one is for Ezekiel Norman Nash

November 2017:  The one above is for my brand new great nephew, Ezekiel.  He is Will and Christena's first and my late sis Julie's 2nd grandbaby.  Can't wait to meet him!



Spring 2018:  This one is for Baby Carl.  He is Ranger Holly Platz' new baby.  We worked for at South Llano River State Park.  This time I used "baby blanket yarn".  I like the softness of it.

I went with a nature scene for Carl with the buttons on his cocoon as well as his burp rags

and a few months later, he can still fit in it



January 2019:  2 of my besties will become grandmothers soon.  

Laurie's new granddaughter will get a cocoon (and hat) made out of baby blanket yarn.  With this yarn, I cast on 32 stitches instead of 44

from Laurie's kids
College bestie, Janet, will get this one out of Homespun yarn in a blueish, greenish, aquaish, tealish color --- because they won't know a gender until Baby Rowe is born.
Janet's daughter-in-law opening her cocoon at her shower

They had a girl!  Clara in her cocoon

isn't she a beauty?



Size 13 needles

Working with 2 strands of yarn together, cast on 44 stitches loosely.
Place stitch marker on needle at beginning of round.
Knit in the round until piece is 48cm/19 in long.
Next Round: K2tog to end of round. (22 stitches on needle)
Next Round: Knit.
Next Round: K2tog to end of round. (11 stitches on needle)
Cut yarn leaving 25cm/10 in tail.
Thread darning needle with tail and thread through the remaining 11 stitches.
Pull tight and secure.
Darn in loose ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment