Monday, February 25, 2013

Relax, Man!

Relax, Man!
By tiina-huhtaniemi



the pic on the pattern
My first try at a hat -- very pleased with the pattern

Yay!!  I FINALLY knitted my first hat!  I chose a man pattern in a slouchy hat.  


finally on a roll
I guess I'm just gonna be a 4th-try knitter.  After 4 starts and frogging, and an email to the designer, I finally got the hang of the pattern.  Then it was only a 2 day project!  Love it. I think I can modify: make it a tad smaller, add flowers or buttons, and make it a girl hat!  I will also try it eventually with bulky yarn -- there is a modification for that on ravelry.com.


looking good
i actually like the wrong side of the pattern!  for girls
This pattern is free and on ravelry.com;  Can't wait to make more!

I used size 7 needles & louet riverstone yarn in a charcoal color.  The hat was kinda loose, fitting.  I'm hoping by washing it, it'll tighten it up.  I'm not sure if it's loose because my cable was too long, or that's just how it is.

I loved that I got to learn the German cast- on method and a new stitch or 2.

CO 112 sts with german twisted cast-on method. Be careful not to twist sts when knitting the first round. PM to mark the beginning of the round.
Row 1: sm, [ k1tbl, k1], repeat to end. 
Row 2: sm, [k1tbl, p1], repeat to end. Repeat rows 1-2 12 times. 
You have knitted 26 rows total, 8 cm.

Row 27: sm, knit to end.

Row 28: sm, [k3, p1], repeat to end.

Repeat rows 27-28 until the piece measures 24 cm. (8 1/2 in) Start decreases. (this is where I needed straight needles)
Row 1: [Slip 2 sts knitwise as if to knit, k 1, psso, k 1], repeat to end.
Row 2: [K1, p1], repeat to end.
Row 3: as row 2.
Row 4: [k2 tog], repeat to end.
Row 5. Knit
K2 tog and repeat until you have 7 sts left. Cut yarn and pull it thru the sts. Weave in ends, block and wear.


Maybe just a little bigger than I'd planned
UPDATE:  With the help of my knitting mentors, I figured out that the reason this first hat was looser than I wanted, was because I used size 7 needles -- what the yarn called for.  The pattern called for size 6.  

So on my second try, I still used the 7's, but dropped from 112 stitched to 106.  I just pinched the "big" hat while on David's head and decided I needed 6 less stitches.  Well, when I got ready to start Row 27, I realized the stitches should be in multiples of 4!  I had 2 extra stitches, so I just knitted/purled.  It really looked just fine.  When I got to the decreasing at the top, I decided to try straight needles.  NOT a good idea.  I had a mess. 


Frogging (rip it, rip it, rip it)
Sooooo, I took the whole hat apart and started again.




This time (3rd hat) I casted on 104 stitches.  Perfect.  Jerri taught me to use a lifeline and double-pointed needles!  I wove in some dental floss just after Row 2 on decrease.  Then used the dp needles for the rest.  Other than trying to do this last part in a dark room (Western Town) with a movie (Taken 2) going on, and finally getting up and going home, it went great!  Jake will get this hat and hopefully it'll be something he can wear occasionally!
ok, the hat is on his neck and scarf on his head -- not exactly what i had in mind, but whatever works
Jake lookin good in his Relax , Man hat
decreasing with double-pointed needles and needle protectors  (you can see the white lifeline)

Gus' hat
good ole TX color


UPDATE:  now I'm casting on 96 stitches when I use size 7's.  Seems to be a better fit.  David prefers the non-slouchy look.  So before I start decreasing for his, I measured about 7 inches instead of 8 1/2.  Just right!
Tom's alpaca hat for Alaska

finished 

David tried it on for size
Stan the Man in his Riverstone wool hat
Ready for Alaska
Bros
didn't have to wait for Alaska -- got cold in the hill country right after we left.
and.....they're goobers

David rockin' his new hat
just arrived Texarkana and it's cold here, too! March 25!
might be my best one yet -- tho not slouchy! I used Vintage for his.










December 2019: Justin is still wearing his 5 years later.    

No comments:

Post a Comment