Monday, January 23, 2012

Coasters

First set of coasters for some Kansas peeps (KS map)
Today for crafts at JCRV, we tried another thing I'd found on Pinterest.  I think they'll make fun Christmas gifts.

JCRV ladies made these
I bought a case of 50 from Lowe's (10 cents each), a bottle of Mod Podge, acrylic sealer, sponge brushes, and adhesive cork.  I have an abundance of road maps (those paper things we used to use before GPS).  So I plan to use those.  Other ideas are magazine pix, scrapbook paper, family photos, party napkins, funny papers. etc.

First brush on a coat of Mod Podge and place your pic on the top of the tile.  Smooth out bubbles with fingers. Let it dry for about 10-15 minutes.  Then brush another coat of MP over that.  Give it another 10-15 minutes.  Brush the sealer over it and let dry for about 30 minutes.

cork on bottom

Place adhesive cork to the bottom.

I will give a set of 4 as gifts and tie with a pretty bow.

3-26-12:  We had our LAST craft day today at JCRV.  Rather the last one for this year while I'm here.  This has really been fun this year.  Crafts every Monday for nearly 3 mths!  It's kinda like church camp or a crafting retreat!

Last week I told the ladies about making tile coasters to see if they'd like to try that this week.  After a few minutes of telling them about it, Becky my Indiana peep, said "what are 'tal' coasters?" Cracked me up!  Languager barriers aside, we had a wonderful day today in PERFECT weather, making "tal coasters"!  I had also found some porcelain tiles of various shapes and sizes the other day at a resale shop's garage sale.  All I could put in a box for $1.  Fun!  So we played with those today, too.

Crafters making "tal" coasters

Crafting peeps

made by Becky from Indiana

Kathy's coasters with hill country wildflower pix

jcrv library pic for Sarah

jcrv pix for Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment