Monday, March 6, 2023

Smash Cans

 

I'm stoked about this idea I saw online.  Smash Cans or Pocket Planters.  Any size can will work.  But it has to be one that a can opener will can take the bottom off. (Many cans now have a rounded bottom lip and a can opener won't work on it in my experience.)  Once the top and bottoms are off, just squeeze the bottom together as much as possible, then hammer it completely together.  This one is painted with acrylic, modpodged a napkin on it, sealed with modpodge or polycrylic.  I glued Dollar Tree flowers and made a messy bow.  

I plan to do these for Christmas, so I've reached out to a lotta friends and family for their empty cans --- since I don't do a lot of cooking.




Forget the bloody thumb.  I was stabbed by a piece of floral wire.








I've also bought a hole punch that's supposed to be good for metal.  I'll attach wire through the holes as a hanger for my next ones.  These are light as a feather, so the twine will work well, too.




These can be glued to a board also.  I used a small Valentine's cutting board marked down from Hobby Lobby.




Pam chose this one.  We found some pretty yellow flowers for it.




Fun using spring colored beads to make a hanger.









Deanna gets this one.  She's been one of my main can suppliers!




I love how the wire is flexible enough for me to make a little heart that will be the "hanger" for some of the smash cans.


Here's the one David wanted us to keep.




While we were garage sale-ing (the Junk Hunt on HWY 35 in AR) w/ Bill and Pam this week, I came across these cute vintage, mid-century hooks.  I thought they'd be perfect for a smash can that weighs practically nothing.




And after seeing how much they are on ebay, I felt a little bad that I got them for 25 cents.  





I used a couple of the barrel boards from Kathey to make pocket planters with smash cans.


Another find at the Junk Hunt -- a necklace holder for $2.  I'll use this at the Silent Auction at church to display the smash cans. (none sold. all gifted)




Lisa chose the pretty little purple one and displayed along with her beach decor!



Laura chose this one.  I love how the bow turned out.


No comments:

Post a Comment