Sunday, March 12, 2023

Rag Sunflowers





Saw these cute sunflowers on a FB craft page.  I thought they'd be easy enough that even I could pull it off!  Below is the inspiration pic and written instructions.






I found a perfect bucket for them at a flea market. I glued them in and poured a bunch of DT rocks around it.  It didn't hold on that metal.  For the first time ever I tried the spray foam that I decided I'd use for my rag Christmas trees next time.  Whoa boy, that was a learning experience! I sprayed too much in there.  The next morning it had expanded waaaaay above the top of the bucket.  I was able to pull the bigges chunk of it out.  But there was tons stuck to the sides and hardened pretty good.  David had a tough little scraper that I used for probably and hour or so and got as much as I could off. Then I painted over the inside and started again. 

Though I was trying to avoid using floral blocks (because they're environmentally unfriendly), I buckled and got a couple. After placing them in there like I wanted, I sprayed about and inch or so of the foam and let it sit overnight. The next morning, the bucket was nearly half full of hardened foam. I added a little more and let it harden before covering the top with rocks. Whew!



I found another bucket and gave it a thin coat of vintage white. I may go back over it with distressing ink.



 I have a friend, Trish,  that used spray starch on hers to make the pedals not so floppy.  She said it took a LOT of starch.  They do look nice as you can see below.





So, I may try that on them next time.  But right now I'm kinda liking the floppy look. I may decide to add a 3rd flower to each of them though.....if I can get them through that hardened foam.

(Both of mine above -- SOLD -- in ACC's silent auction)

No comments:

Post a Comment