Saturday, March 26, 2016

Haloarchaea Mitts


Haloarchaea

That word!  I had to google it.  Kinda thought it was some foreign land or historic site.  But, it's actually a bacteria that grows in the Great Salt Lake, geysers, and hot springs.  The author of this pattern is from Utah and her blog name is lakesaltknit.  The color of the yarn she used is a similar color to the haloarchaea.



mine after blocking
I had some Red Heart Unforgettable in a color that made me think of the ocean, so that's what I used.  I love the color and the feel of this yarn.  But, boy oh boy, is it hard to knit with!

these needles are the about the same size around as the toothpick on the right
I had to buy some size 1 dpn's for this project and I joked with the lady a the Yarn Garden that I could've used toothpicks.  As you can see in the above pic (no pun intended), I wasn't too far off.  She told me some of the knitters there recently went to Ireland and took part in some knitting classes.  The instructors there actually had them using toothpicks for some things such as holding needles, etc.

Not sure if it was the yarn or the pattern or both, but this was really hard to block.  And still the ruffle isn't as showy as I'd like.  I'll try it again one day with a more relaxed yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment