Saturday, March 26, 2016

Flyfishing Gloves







Fingerless gloves, that is. David found and bought this pattern off of Ravelry and asked me to knit them up for him.  It's my first time to do fingers other than thumbs as I usually do fingerless mitts.  It wasn't hard but it was a challenge.  Fingers are a bit tedious and the gaps in between were a struggle for me.  I'm not 100% happy with how they turned out, but I learned a lot and will try again on a second pair.

I did a lot of googling videos to see how to close up the gaps.  Then after he wore them once or twice, the ends of my weaving began poking through to the other side,




 So I googled remedies for that and didn't find a lot of help.  I took them into the Yarn Garden in Texarkana where I bought the yarn (Superwash Wool) for them. The lady working that day told me just to clip what's poking through.  I had been scared to do that for fear of creating a hole.  But she said as long as the ends are woven it shouldn't create a hole. Here's hoping!  There are so many ends that it would make a LOT of holes!





I got this in gray and an olive green


I must say I totally love the yarn.  It's 100% Superwash Wool by Cascade Yarns.  Feels great and is reqsonably priced.


Debbie helped me with my project

In Wichita I started the olive green pair for him.  Once I got to where I needed to close up gaps, I went in to get some help at the New Twist Yarn Shop in the Delano District.  Debbie gave me some great ideas and demonstrated how to close up those gaps nicely.  She also gave me some tips to keep the "noses" (those little pieces after I clip the tails) from poking through to the right side. She said to block and give the gloves a good stretching before I trim the tails.  Even wearing them a couple of times before snipping the tails should help.

they had about 10 or so "lunch bunch" gals rhere knitting together


I felt better about the gaps, but as you can see, weaving in the ends is still a challenge for me. Maybe those lumps will smooth out with wear. In the meantime,  I think I'll still with fingerless mitts!

No comments:

Post a Comment