Wednesday, August 12, 2015

stretchy headbands


niece, Laci is styling with both her headbands!
first batch

part of the 2nd batch

Now that I've started walking every day, and sweating a LOT while walking, I'm always on the lookout for a stretchy headband.  While they're easy to find, they can be pretty pricey.  Sooooo, I looked at Pinterest and found some patterns.

happily, there was no slippage while walking and sweating

this one is just a plain, straight pattern

this one is wider on top than at the back

this is the cheapest knit, and also the softest --- but no other prints in it

my fave pattern so far 

As with a lot of things on Pinterest, some details were left out because I guess they assumed some things are no-brainers.  So I'm learning as I go.

First of all a ball point needle is important for the sewing machine when dealing with knits.  Luckily, I learned this from the lady at JoAnn's before I started.  What I didn't learn ahead of time is that it's important to use a zigzag stitch with knits!  Otherwise, as with the headbands in the above pic, you can feel the stitches when you stretch the headband.  I did reinforce some of the stitching with zigzag, but not all.  It's not uncomfortable, but probably will snap before too long.  So my next batch with be zigzag all the way.

I was told the thread didn't matter that much, so I've been using all-purpose.  But someone else told me to use a cotton coated that will give a little.  hmmmm.  They're just headbands.  But we shall see.


love these prints that I found at Needle Nook

I think some of my outdoorsy peeps will get headbands for Christmas!

I discovered the Needle Nook today in Wichita.  They kind of specialize in knits. I'm still playing around with the various kinds.  There are polyester/spandex, rayon/spandex, rayon/polyester, jersey, and who knows what else.  I'd love to have a knit that has great patterns and is ok to sweat in........breathable.  So far, I haven't found both in one knit.  But it'll still be a fun gift! And super easy to make! And washer/dryer safe.

Rhonda chose one of my fave prints

I like how Becky C rocks both the black and the print headbands
Niecey, Nicole modeling hers

I made some for my fitbit challengers and sent them via Laci.  Thx for modeling, girls!

I can get about 4-6 headbands out of 1/2 yard of fabric!  That's opposed to about $7-$15 for one headband at the sporting goods store!

young child sizes
I had some fabric left over that wasn't long enough for adult sizes.  So I made some for some of the little girls in our life! Nice and soft.

And how about cute little Hadley Jo rocking her headband!
does Lacey's smile look like this emoji?

No comments:

Post a Comment