Thursday, November 7, 2013

Sock Critters


book that Gala recommended
My creative Branson friend, Gala, inspired me when she taught us to do sock monkeys ( a post of its own ). I purchased the $20 book above on Amazon for 97 cents.  It is full of fun ideas.

Before leaving Branson, I put together some sock animal "kits" so that when I decide to sit down and do some, they'll be ready.


I made these in the first week we were in Wichita
 I followed ideas in the book, but sometimes they became something else as I was working on them.
our 6 yr old, Andrew,  picked this critter to keep - he calls it a porpoise named Rafael


with small ankle Christmas socks, I make the fish, owl, and pig

June Milner posted this Pinterest idea on fb
 these are super easy because rubber bands are used instead of stitching.

I created a few:  for Andrew, Asher, and Marlee Kay
Andrew with Olaf and Asher with Olaf 2.... and Grandpa


11-7-13:  Funny story: David and Justin played golf today.  David gave Justin the sock animals the boys had picked out to deliver to them.  According to Justin and Brooke, the boys were more excited about the sock animals arriving home than their Dad.  I'm sure that's not so, but kinda fun to think they were looking forward to getting them.

Asher with the first sock monkey I made - he named it Donatello

Sleeping with Donatello -- D is in a stuffed animal sleeping bag I made for them last year

Rafael is sleeping next to Andrew

Great Dane, Avery, found Donatello the next day while the boys were at school. I think I can hear the monkey screaming, tho he seems to be in one piece. Isn't he?



For the Goff kiddos below:

James' owl and on the other side............
James' red-nosed reindeer
Manning's fish and Miller's Christmas hog
Ethan's green man
Marlee Kay's snowman and Macie's monkey
Baby Ava Campbell's "duck with an ugly Christmas sweater" critter

Marlee Kay and Snowy
Miller

Macie

James

Ethan and Fish

Manning and Fishy
December 2013:  Bill and Pam's grandkids got sock critters for Christmas from me. I attached a little note to each one saying what the critter was and asked them to name theirs.

Shirlene and Vickey are going to town on their sock critters
gettin our craft with Connie, Dawn, Darlene, Shirlene, and Vickey
Mr Ken built us a nice, toasty fire for craft time
Ryan tended to our fire and then pretended to craft with us
Finished products -- and one nearly finished product (Connie's)

January 2014:  We made sock critters in crafts today at JCRV.  We had a lotta fun trying to decide what some of the critters were before the finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment