Thursday, May 2, 2013

Sock Monkeys


note my signature knee brace on my monkey



We had craft time at the Dewey for the staff the other night.  Gala taught us how to make sock monkeys (as well as some other critters). My monkey is pretty lumpy ----- or "muscular", rather.  I keep reminding myself that my first dishrag had 5 sides, so it'll get better with practice, right???



To begin with, get a couple of socks (they don't have to be the same), batting, embroidery thread/needle, reg needle and thread, scissors, and cool buttons.

cut one sock apart as shown above

turn sock inside out, baste 2 rows with a gap in between

cut up the middle and reinforce the seams
turn right side out, stuff legs
rolled up "flat" batting works better for the legs

turn opposite of creasing, cut heal off
stuff butt, body, and head
sticch up mouth, then stitch the heal onto the seamed mouth opening, and stuff

QUOTE OF THE DAY:  "I like to stitch the mouth on last so he can't scream while I'm stitching everything else",
Gala Solari

Hey, Hey, I'm a monkey!

Gala's duck
button feet
Gene trying to duck!  No pun intended. 
Hey, Hey, We're the Monkeys
future sock friends

my 2nd sock monkey -- pink knee brace
isn't he cute?

No comments:

Post a Comment