Friday, July 29, 2016

Ahh-Choo Shirt




When we attended the Belle Plaine, KS tulip festival earlier this year, Brooke and I spotted this wonderful "hankie" shirt that a crafter had for sale.  We both loved it, but it's price was in the $50's.  Sooooo, I decided to try one myself.  





I used a t-shirt that I already had for my first one.  Found some vintage hankies at a thrift store in Spearfish.  I placed mine a little differently than the inspiration piece.




And I did the "Julie Sleeves" as an added touch.  (see other blogpost)


This project kinda refreshed my memory on how tricky it can be to sew on t-shirt material.



But I like the way it turned out. Great gift idea.  And now I'm addicted to vintage hankies!!  I've already found a couple of other projects for them.  Even the ones that are kinda raggedy.

When Justin, Brooke, and family came to Spearfish in July to visit us, Brooke and I went to all the thrift stores in town and looked for hankies and cotton or linen shirts (easier to sew on).  I believe some folks will get some as gift in the next year or 2.







Brooke finished hers in September.  It'll be mighty hard to beat this one!  Sooooo pretty!!



Winter 2017:  I did Pam's while David and I were workamping at Boyce Thompson Arboretum in AZ.




Hankies are so thin and delicate to sew on.  When I make a mistake it's difficult to remove it.  So on the top of the hankie above, I added a tiny bow that was in my mother-in-law's sewing notions.  I was very lucky to get to have those when she died.


doesn't Pam look cute in her ah-choo shirt?

Even AZ gets a little cool in the winter, so she added a t-shirt under it  



Summer 2018:  Jeanette Malchow mailed me a ton of her mom's hankies.  How sweet is that?!  So I found a white shirt and added some of them to it for her.



I surprised her with it when they visited us in Wichita


She takes her modeling seriously!  lol

She and Uwe visited the DDE museum the next day and I think she looks adorable in it
Jeanette said Mimi seemed to approve!

No comments:

Post a Comment